Thursday, December 31, 2015

Unit II-30 in 30 Challenge Introduction

Leslie Saeta hosts an online painting challenge in January and September of each year called the 30 in 30, challenging artists from around the world to paint daily for 30 days and post the results to their blog or website.  I will paint daily through the month of January (or at least I will post daily; painting ahead is allowed, thank goodness!)  At the end of the challenge, all of the artists will create a photo collage of their paintings.  My theme is fruit, including apples, oranges, and pears.  This is not the most exciting theme, but it will help me work on color and form, and it isn't intimidating.  If you'd like to join me, sign up here.

Here is a list of materials:
  • 30 small canvases--I'm using 6" x 6" stretched oil-primed linen canvases.    
  • Paint for days (30, that is)
  • Fruit for props (bonus--I can eat the prop after painting it!)
  • Shadow box--A shadow box is used to control the lighting and contain the still life set up.  I have constructed a shadow box out of black foam core board and duct tape, which isn't the sturdiest, but it works.  Carol Marine has a great plan for a shadow box that is on my someday list here.  I set my shadow box on a short bookshelf covered with a black sheet so it is less confusing.  The back is not as tall as the sides so that I can drape fabric for a background if I want.  Or, I can light the subject from behind.     
  • Lighting source for the still life.  I use two lights--a clip on workshop light, which I clip onto a cheapo tripod.  I use a full-spectrum light bulb that leans blue and aim it toward an upper corner to keep the shadows from going flat.  Then, I light the subject directly with a small gooseneck lamp that acts as a narrow spotlight and leans yellow. 
Here's a picture of my shadow box and still life set up.  Compare how the workshop light's illumination looks bluish, but the little spotlight looks more yellow (look at the light to the left of the pear and by the shadow--the yellow streak below the pear is its reflection).  In her book, Carol Marine mentions directing a bluer light to the upper corner of the box, and I think it gives the subject a nicer look.  

Still life shadow box made with black foam core. (I'll paint this pear in Lesson 3.  Stay tuned.)

Speaking of, I will be loosely following some tips and techniques from Carol Marine's book, which I highly recommend.  You can buy it here.

Here is my Pinterest board of materials for Unit II.

         Follow Monique's board Materials for Unit II of Wet On The Easel Blog on Pinterest.  

And, here is my Pinterest board of studio painting materials and tools.

       Follow Monique's board Studio Painting Supplies on Pinterest.


I plan to spend a few hours on each painting.

For the individual lessons, I am limiting how many times I can choose a particular fruit to ensure I don't just paint the exact same thing over and over.  The result should be a coherent yet varied body of work.

Grab-bag of Lessons
  • 10 Oranges
  • 10 Apples
  • 10 Pears 
Depending on what fruit I have on-hand, I will simply pick a lesson from my "grab-bag" each day.

As always, please subscribe to follow along or join in.  I'd love to meet you--please introduce yourself in the comments.  Also, your feedback is most appreciated.  Leave your questions, comments, and hate mail below.  (I won't post the hate mail, ha!)  Thanks for stopping by.  Monique

No comments:

Post a Comment