Sunday, December 27, 2015

Unit I, Lesson 8--Phthalo Blue Color Chart

Phthalo Blue Color Chart
Phthalo blue is a transparent blue that leans yellow (so it is on the green side).  It is a strong pigment; a little goes a long way.

I feel like I really have this process down pat, so this will be a short post.

Materials needed:
  • Oil Colors
    • Alizarin Permanent
    • Cadmium Red Deep 
    • Transparent Oxide Red
    • Cadmium Yellow Light 
    • Cadmium Lemon 
    • Viridian Green 
    • Phthalo Blue (lots of it)
    • Ultramarine Blue
    • Titanium Zinc White
  • Canvas pad--I used Centurion oil-primed linen, 9"x12"
  • Masking tape--I used 3/4" tape
Unit I, Lesson 8 took me about 2.5 hours to complete.  


Step One: Divide the canvas

Divide your canvas pad using the method outlined in Unit I, Lesson 1.  See my time-saving T-square trick here.

Step Two:  Arrange the colors

The colors remain in the same order as in the first color chart.

Step Three:  Mix the colors and apply the paint

I continued to use my value scale as explained in Lesson 6, here.

Step Four: Remove the tape

For some reason, I had trouble measuring this one.  The last column is wider than the others.  Oh well!  

Phthalo Blue Color Chart in progress

Step Five:  Let it dry


Completed Phthalo Blue Color Chart.  Columns from left to right:  Phthalo Blue; Phthalo Blue + Ultramarine Blue; Phthalo Blue + Alizarin Permanent; Phthalo Blue + Cadmium Red Deep; Phthalo Blue + Transparent Oxide Red; Phthalo Blue + Cadmium Yellow Light; Phthalo Blue + Cadmium Lemon; Phthalo Blue + Viridian Green
One more to go!

You can access all of the lessons in this unit from the Index of Lessons page here.

Upcoming Lesson

Unit I, Lesson 9--Ultramarine Blue Color Chart

Materials needed:
  • Oil Colors
    • Alizarin Permanent
    • Cadmium Red Deep 
    • Transparent Oxide Red
    • Cadmium Yellow Light 
    • Cadmium Lemon
    • Viridian Green
    • Phthalo Blue 
    • Ultramarine Blue (lots of it)
    • Titanium Zinc White
  • Canvas pad--I used Centurion oil-primed linen, 9"x12"
  • Masking tape--I used 3/4" tape
Unit I, Lesson 9 took me about 2.5 hours to complete. 

As always, please subscribe to follow along or join in.  I'd love to meet you--please introduce yourself in the comments.  Also, your feedback is most appreciated.  Leave your questions, comments, and hate mail below.  (I won't post the hate mail, ha!)  Thanks for stopping by.  Monique

No comments:

Post a Comment