Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Unit I, Lesson 9--Ultramarine Blue Color Chart (& Warm Blues)

Ultramarine Blue Color Chart
Ultramarine Blue is a transparent blue that leans red.  It is one of my favorites.

Materials needed:
  • Oil Colors
    • Alizarin Permanent
    • Cadmium Red Deep 
    • Transparent Oxide Red
    • Cadmium Yellow Light 
    • Cadmium Lemon 
    • Viridian Green 
    • Phthalo Blue
    • Ultramarine Blue (lots of it)
    • Titanium Zinc White
  • Canvas pad--I used Centurion oil-primed linen, 9"x12"
  • Masking tape--I used 3/4" tape
Unit I, Lesson 9 took me about 2.5 hours to complete.

Step One: Divide the canvas

Divide your canvas pad using the method outlined in Unit I, Lesson 1.  See my time-saving T-square trick here.

Step Two:  Arrange the colors

The colors remain in the same order as in the first color chart.

Step Three:  Mix the colors and apply the paint

I continued to use my value scale as explained in Lesson 6, here.

Step Four: Remove the tape


Ultramarine Blue Color Chart in progress
Step Five:  Let it dry

Completed Ultramarine Blue Color Chart.  Columns from left to right--Ultramarine Blue; Ultramarine Blue + Alizarin Permanent; Ultramarine Blue + Cadmium Red Deep; Ultramarine Blue + Transparent Oxide Red; Ultramarine Blue + Cadmium Yellow Light; Ultramarine Blue + Cadmium Lemon; Ultramarine Blue + Viridian Green; Ultramarine Blue + Phthalo Blue
That's it for the color charts!  I learned a lot about how my chosen palette mixes, and I learned a lot about value.  I will let the canvas pieces dry, then I plan to frame them in some way so that I can display them in my studio.  Here is a link to an article on how to frame unmounted canvas.  I will probably mat and frame them, and display them with a corresponding label.

BONUS--Warm Blues

Working with tints of Phthalo and Ultramarine Blue made me question which appears "warmer."  Remember that Phthalo Blue leans yellow and Ultramarine Blue leans red.  Both red and yellow are considered "warm" colors, but which is warmer?  This has always confused me (and there doesn't seem to be a consensus that I'm aware of), so while it was still fresh in my mind, I investigated a bit for my own reference.  

Warm colors appear to come forward, while cool colors appear to recede.  So, to test whether a yellow blue or a red blue appears warmer, I decided to compare both next to each other, tinted to the same value as each other and on a neutral gray background.  I used toned sketching paper for the background, which is approximately at Value 7.  

First, I taped the paper to ensure the spots of color were the exact same size.  (Smaller objects appear to recede, while large objects appear to come forward.)

Taping the paper

You can see that the paper is toned to Value 7 here.

Value 7

I tinted Phthalo Blue and Ultramarine Blue to approximately the same value as the paper to reduce potential confusion caused by value (high values appear to come forward and low values appear to recede).  

Here are my piles of paint, tinted to Value 7.

Tinted Phthalo Blue (top) versus tinted Ultramarine Blue (bottom)
You can see they are the same value here.

Tinted Phthalo Blue, Value 7 (top) versus tinted Ultramarine Blue, Value 7 (bottom)
I applied the paint squares and removed the tape.  Then, I tested the squares to make sure they were the exact same value, which they were.

Value 7 tints

Here is the final product.

Value 7 tints of Ultramarine Blue (left) versus Phthalo Blue (right)
Ultramarine Blue is on the left, and Phthalo Blue is on the right.  Which appears closer to you?  To me, the Phthalo Blue appears closer.  This leads me to believe that yellow blues are warmer than red blues, although both are warm.

You can access all of the lessons in this unit from the Index of Lessons page here.

Upcoming Lesson

Next up, Unit II--the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge!  I will post an introduction to the unit soon.  In the meantime, you can sign up here.  

As always, please subscribe to follow along or join in.  I'd love to meet you--please introduce yourself in the comments.  Also, your feedback is most appreciated.  Leave your questions, comments, and hate mail below.  (I won't post the hate mail, ha!)  Thanks for stopping by.  Monique

No comments:

Post a Comment